Friday, January 21, 2011

Herpes Simplex Virus is Akt-ing in translational control


Yes, that is actually the title of the scientific paper published in Genes and Development.  I laughed out loud when I first read it. Who knew that Virologists could be so punny? Maybe the author had Bob for a class once…

Anyways, I like this article because it is an example of viral control in host gene regulation.  It was found that Herpes Simplex Virus—1 counteracts the innate host response by using viral kinase Us3 to mimic cellular kinase Akt to repress tuberous sclerosis complex 2 and activate the target rapamycin complex 1 (mTORC1) and enhance mRNA translation.

Herpesviruses interfere with the TSC/mTORC/4E-BP/eIF4E signaling cascades in many ways to make sure that protein synthesis continues in infected cells despite the innate immune systems attempts to stop it. Human cytomegalocivrus (HCMV), Epstein-Barr virus, and Kaposi’s sarcoma-associated herpes virus all have been documented to interfere in a different way. 

-Lauren Platt

Paper:

Norman, K. L. and Sarnow, P. Herpes Simplex Virus is Akt-ing in translational control.  Genes & Dev. 2010. 24, 2583-2586.
Doi: 10.1101/gad.2004510 Genes & Dev. 2010. 24: 2583-2586

2 comments:

  1. • This is real take it serious, i am JOHNSON JUDITH i am from Ireland. Who will believe that a herbal medicine can cure HERPES, I never believe that this will work, i have spend a lot money getting drugs from the hospital to keep me and my son healthy, it got to a point that i was waiting for death to come because i was broke, one day i heard about this great man called Dr ODUWA who is well known for Herpes, HIV, and Cancer cure, i decided to email him I didn't believe him that much, I just wanted to give him a try, he replied my mail and Needed some Information about me, then I sent them to him, he prepared a herbal medicine (CURE) and, he gave my details to the Courier Office. they told me that 4-8 days I will receive the package and after receiving it, i took the medicine as prescribed by him at the end of the two weeks, he told me to go to the hospital for a checkup, and i went, surprisingly after the test the doctor confirm me HERPES negative, and my son and i thought it was a joke, i went to other hospital and was also negative, thank you for saving our life's, I promise I will always testify of your good works. If you are HERPES patient, contact him and I am sure you will get cured, contact him via: dr.oduwaspellhome@gmail.com or whatsapp him at +2348070685053.
    THESE ARE THE THINGS Dr ODUWA CURE
    . COLD SORE
    . HERPES
    . CANCER
    . HPV
    . LASSA FEVER
    . GONORRHEA

    ReplyDelete
  2. HELLO EVERYONE.. FEW MUNINETS TO REDY THIS INFOR ON HERPES CURE 2018..
    2017 MY MOTHER WAS DIAGNOSED OF HERPES/ KNOWN AS GENITAL WARTS ,I SPENT A LOT OF MONEY ON HER MEDICATION TILL A POINT I EVEN LOST HOPE,BECAUSE MY MOTHER WAS GRADUALLY DYING AND LOST HER MEMORY TOO, I WAS SO DESPERATE TO GET MY MOTHER BACK TO NORMAL, ONE DAY MY UNCLE WHO LIVES IN LONDON UNITED KINGDOM TOLD ME ABOUT DR OLIHA ,WHO HELPED HIM GET RID OF HERPES /GENITAL WART WITH HERBAL MEDICINE AND HIS HERBAL SOAP ,I WAS SO SHOCKED WHEN HE TOLD ME ABOUT THIS ,ALTHOUGH I NEVER BELIEVE IN HERB BUT, I KEEP TO BELIEVE BECAUSE MY UNCLE CAN'T TELL ME LIES WHEN IT COMES TO HEALTH CONDITION I CONTACTED DR OLIHA VIA HIS EMAIL; OLIHA.MIRACLEMEDICINE@GMAIL.COM , YOU CAN TALK TO HIM VIA CALL OR WHATSAPP MESSENGER ON +2349038382931 , HE REPLIED AND ASK ME TO SEND MY HOME ADDRESS AND MY MOTHER'S DETAIL AND THEN I PURCHASED THE HERBAL MEDICINE,SENT ME THE HERBAL MEDICINE THROUGH COURIER SERVICE, WHEN I RECEIVED THIS HERBAL MEDICINE USED IT FOR 2 WEEKS, AND 4 DAYS OF USAGE THE WARTS FELL OFF, MY MOTHER I NOW TOTALLY CURED AND MY MOTHER IS LIVING FREE AND HAPPY AGAIN. YOU CAN TALK TO DR VIA HIS MOBILE NUMBER OR WHATS APP HIM ON +2349038382931.ALL THANKS TO DOCTOR DR OLIHA

    ReplyDelete