Friday, March 1, 2019

Social Media Platforms Take Steps to Curb Misinformation About Vaccines

Pinterest, a social media platform popular with parents, is starting to crack down on the spread of anti-vaccination propaganda by purposefully banishing results associated with vaccine-related searches. The changes have not been publicly announced and started in September and October. Pinterest is an especially effective way to reach parents: 80% of mothers and 38% of fathers in the U.S. use Pinterest according to 2017 data from comScore. Other social media platforms like Facebook and YouTube have also been infiltrated with anti-vaccination information and are taking steps to combat it. One of YouTube's policies is to demonetize anti-vaccine videos. YouTube also said that is started surfacing more authoritative content in late 2017 for people searching for vaccination-related topics. An analysis by The Daily Beast of seven Facebook pages that promote anti-vaccine posts found that the pages had bought a combined 147 Facebook ads that had been viewed millions of times. Facebook spokeswoman Andrea Vallone said, "We've taken steps to reduce the distribution of health-related misinformation on Facebook, but we know we have more to do."
On the other hand, Twitter said that it had no specific policy to stem the spread of misinformation about vaccines but that its real-time nature was a "powerful antidote." Twitter spokeswoman Kati Rosborough said, "We, as a company, should not be the arbiter of truth." Arthur Caplan, head of the Division of Medical Ethics at the New York University School of Medicine, said, "We're just seeing all sorts of misinformation flying around on social media... Fake news. Fake science. Everybody's an expert."
"Internist Dr. Poland commented that he often encountered patients who relied on social media when researching health questions: "I will explain to a patient in detail the answer to their question and they'll look at me and say, 'Yeah, but I saw on Facebook that'... You just want to tear your hair out." 
Source: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/23/health/pinterest-vaccination-searches.html

-- Caroline Aung

4 comments:

  1. I got diagnosed with HPV, i have be dealing with this mess for the past 8yrs. On till i got review online about natural cure people testifies how they got cured with natural treatment. And i order the treatment, after taking it for two weeks i totally got cured with herbal treatment. I'm recommending you diagnosis with HPV should get this treatment via; princetesskarachi@gmail .com , lifecentre@live.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believed God has sent dr onokun to help people out from this horrible virus. i was diagnosis with hpv for 3 years, few months ago a friend introduced me to dr onokun and i only took his natural treatment for a week & 3 days, and i totally got cured with his herbal treatment. if you are suffering from hpv, you don't have to be roaming round dr onokun email is been attached to contact him on email:  dronokunherbalcure@gmail.com 

    ReplyDelete
  3. I contracted hpv' i was told there is no hpv cure except treatment to control it, i totally lost of hope all i could think loosing my life because it was so embarrass for been hpv patient. some weeks ago i read possible natural cure which was guarantee And I ordered the treatment after one week i got 100% cure. I'm so excited to shear this testimony to every article for others living with hpv there is possible natural treatment to eliminate the virus email Dr Onokun, his herbal clinic address; Dronokunherbalcure@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I Can't still believe that i got cured from Genital Herpes through herbal treatment from Dr Oyagu who I met through the internet, I actually couldn't believe it at first because it sounded impossible to me knowing how far I have gone just to get rid of it. Dr Oyagu send me his medicine which I took as instructed and here I am living a happy life once again, a big thanks to Dr Oyagu, I am sure there are many herbal doctors out there but Dr Oyagu did it for me, contact him oyaguherbalhome@gmail.com , also call or whatsApp him on +2348101755322

    ReplyDelete